The term estrogen dominance can be a little misleading since one does not need high levels of estrogen to have this condition. Estrogen Dominance is a term that was first coined by Dr. Lee and refers to a woman that has a low progesterone to estrogen ratio. A better terminology might be “Progesterone Deficiency”. There are actually a few different scenarios in which a women may suffer from the symptoms of estrogen Dominance.
There Are 3 Ways You Can Be Estrogen Dominant:
- Normal Estrogen Levels / Low Progesterone Levels
- High Estrogen Levels / Normal Progesterone Levels
- Low Estrogen / Low Progesterone
1) In the first scenario a woman may actually have excess amounts of estrogen in her body. This can be cause from a number of different things including exposure to estrogen-like compounds called Xenoestrogens, processed foods, birth control pills and other medications, and stress. Excess body fat can also produce excess estrogen and lead to a vicious cycle of weight gain and further hormonal imbalance.
2) In the second scenario a woman may have normal estrogen levels but have low levels of progesterone. In these cases there is not enough progesterone being produced by the body to balance out the effects of the estrogen, and the result is an estrogen dominant state. This scenario is probably the most common and frequently occurs in women who have had children or are approaching mid-life, though it can occur at any age. Prescription contraceptives are also a common cause.
3) In the last scenario a woman can actually be low in both estrogen and progesterone. In these cases a woman my experience the symptoms of both estrogen dominance and low estrogen. This is more typical in post menopausal women.
What Are Some Common Symptoms of Estrogen Dominance?
- Unexplained Weight Gain
- Menstrual Irregularity / Heavy Bleeding
- Ovarian Cysts
- Worsened Allergies
- Breast Tenderness
- Low Libido
- Hair Loss / Thinning
- Water Retention / Bloating
- Anxiety / Depression
What is the Solution for Estrogen Dominance?
Unfortunately, most physicians will simply throw medications such as sleeping pills and antidepressants at a woman who come in with these concerns, rather than addressing the root cause. Estrogen dominance can safely, and effectively be treated with the use of bio-identical hormones, treating nutritional deficiencies, cleaning up the gut and diet, and other natural therapies.
At the Dr. Shel Wellness & Medical Spa we understand how it feels to go from doctor to doctor only be be told that everything is “normal”, to have medications thrown at your symptoms, or even worse to be made to feel like you are a hypochondriac. At the Dr. Shel Wellness & Medical Spa we look at the person as a whole and treat the underlying causes of your symptoms. To see how we may be able to help you, please request a Free Consultation by calling 281-313-7435 or by using the consultation request form. We would love the opportunity to sit down with you and actually listen to your concerns, and then present you with some options for your consideration to help you get back to feeling like yourself again!